LSCWA Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
LSCWA Forums > Other Outdoor > Fish Pictures > What Does A 3 ft. Pike Eat?

Moderated by: bobbarnes
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
What Does A 3 ft. Pike Eat?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 8th, 2010 07:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
Nope...the answer isn't WALLEYE!:D

Including the 3 we pulled out of Metro this weekend, that makes 17 total for 3 of us this winter season on LSC.

We always find shad (mostly) and other small "sunfish" in there, but we couldn't wait to cut this one open and see what that huge lump was inside of it. It looked like a python after it swallowed a rabbit!

In addition to the 3 assorted shad and whatever else, it was pretty interesting to see a very respectable 8" bluegill in its stomach!:realshock:

In surprisingly good shape...its amazing how they just swallow them whole like that!

And no...nary a walleye was found in the bellies of any of these creatures. In fact...not one perch either??? Go figure that one out???:coocoo:

Attachment: S5030741.JPG (Downloaded 184 times)

Last edited on Mon Mar 8th, 2010 07:39 am by Fish Fear Me

Posted: Mon Mar 8th, 2010 07:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
...a close up:

Attachment: S5030738.JPG (Downloaded 184 times)

Posted: Mon Mar 8th, 2010 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
carpazoid
Wire Line the Detroit River

Mana: 
Good posting. Somewhere there is a study done by the DNR of Minnesota or Wisconsin that says pretty much the same thing.

I am a bit surprised, though, that there was not at least one or two small Perch in the bunch since Perch are such a favorite bait for still fishing for Pike.

Posted: Mon Mar 8th, 2010 06:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
royal whaler
Forum Member

Mana: 
Your story of finding fish in your pike reminds me of an experience I had many years ago. I had speared a pike on Belle Isle in the morning and laid it on the ice for at least 5 hours before going home. That night when I cleaned it, I checked the stomach as I usually do. When I opened it up I found a small carp, about 4 or 5 inches long. I held it in my hand to examine it when it gave a wiggle with it’s tail. I was stunned that it could be alive after being out of water for so long. I quickly filled a fish bowl with water and gave him new life. It lived for another 3 days before it died. Back then, I speared a lot of pike and never found a walleye in their stomachs. It always was a thrill to see what they were eating, including fish hooks. :)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Posted: Sat Dec 25th, 2010 09:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Captain Chaos
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
While the kid is rocking out his new Guitar Hero game, I found this old post here. I used to spear tons of pike, but got out of it in the past few years. We used to love doing a post-mortem autopsy, never know what you are going to find. The most surprising thing we found a few years ago was immature muskies. My wife and I speared 8-9 over a couple days time and when cleaning them, found 3 or 4 of them each had an immature musky about 12" long in it's stomach. So obviously they were feeding in the same areas and found where some musky were wintering. We speared them right on the edge of Bouvier Bay and the Raft area.

Cpt. & crew, Off the Hook

Posted: Sat Dec 25th, 2010 11:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
carpazoid
Wire Line the Detroit River

Mana: 
Captain Chaos wrote: I used to spear tons of pike, but got out of it in the past few years. Did you find a more productive part of the season. Was it more productive to go out in late February over, let's say, early February as an example.

Posted: Sat Dec 25th, 2010 12:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Captain Chaos
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
Usually the first few days of the season were good shallow, near shore and the cuts and canals. Throughout the season, flat areas near drop off areas are the best. 5-7 feet is a great depth, with nearby drop offs if you can find them. Late Feb. is when the large females come in with the feedbag on. The largest fish we have speared come from this time of year. We have always used live suckers to spear as well, suspending them 2/3-3/4 of the way to the bottom seemed to attract the most pike. The area we used to do the best was near canals, swampland, sand flats/weedbeds, emergent weeds and the North channel just a couple miles away. This great mix of structures and food source is really what I think led to so many great years of spearing out there. The reason i stopped going was not related to the fishing, but the snowmobiles tearing down the ice at 100mph+.  If someone has a good spearing shanty and wants to go. let me know, we may be able to get together on it, I still have all the gear necessary.

Cpt. & crew, Off the Hook

Current time is 11:24 am  
LSCWA Forums > Other Outdoor > Fish Pictures > What Does A 3 ft. Pike Eat? Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0994 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 27 queries executed.