Finally! Deer down  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2009 05:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Terry
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
The skunk is out of the box, so to speak (fish jargon). I've been seeing quite a few deer and lots of signs this year, just nothing had presented itself, until yesterday.

Started off Saturday morning checking the box blinds and cleaning up some shooting lanes for the firearm opener then hit the new tree stand setup to hunt the afternoon from 2:30 til dark. Nothin'.
Got up Sunday with the intent of hitting the same stand but the the weather changed that idea: Covered in a heavy frost.
So I hiked back to a ladder stand in some thick cover that's a lot easier to get into and no frost. About 7:45 I spotted three deer to my far left about 50 yards out working their way slowly towards my stand.
Man, is it hard to raise the bow without getting noticed when there are three sets of eyes watching everything that moves. At one point two of the deer were withing 10 feet of my stand and still no clear shot.
After about ten minutes the larger doe noticed something wasn't right and turned and ran off about 30 feet. She stopped, looked around and started walking off to my left. At 20 yards she turned and gave me a clear broadside shot. I didn't hesitate to take advantage and but the bolt behind her left shoulder.
I waited about 35 minuted before getting down. I called my wife, Patty, and asked her if she wanted to help me track a deer (her first). She met up with me about 10 minutes later and off we went following a minimal blood trail at best. It took us a little over an hour to find the deer with only a drop here and a drop there to follow. She ran close to 100 yards before going down.
Patty really liked tracking the deer. Dragging it a 1/4 mile, not so much.
The only camera we had was Patty's cell phone (my bad). I'll post the pics as soon as I can figure out how the get them off her phone.
Heading back up Friday through Tuesday.
Good luck to all and shoot straight.

Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2009 04:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
carpazoid
Wire Line the Detroit River

Mana: 
The only camera we had was Patty's cell phone (my bad). I'll post the pics as soon as I can figure out how the get them off her phone.
Is there a Micro SD card in the phone?? If so, then the photos are probably on that and you will need a SD adapter to get the micro card onto a card reader.

Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2009 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Moose
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
Terry wrote:
Patty really liked tracking the deer. Dragging it a 1/4 mile, not so much.
Heading back up Friday through Tuesday.
Good luck to all and shoot straight.
Terry, Great Job. It had to be worth the wait. There is nothing better than when it all comes together and it goes your way. Shooting the deer is one of the easiest things involved in hunting.
 That 1/4 mile dragging a deer = WORK
 Gutting the deer= WORK
 Butchering and wrapping the deer for the freezer = WORK
 Cooking the deer = WORK
 It sure seems easy to pull the trigger. But all the work that comes after the kill is well worth it.
 Now all your friends will ask, "Hey Terry, You gotta extra steak?"
 Can't you just send an e-mail from your phone to your web address and include a attachment with the pics?
Good Hunting,  MOOSE

Posted: Tue Nov 10th, 2009 05:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
carpazoid

Mana: 
Can't you just send an e-mail from your phone to your web address and include a attachment with the pics?
Only if the phone is set up with an internet and/or email account and service----for an extra charge of course.;)

Posted: Tue Nov 10th, 2009 08:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Terry
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
carpazoid wrote: Can't you just send an e-mail from your phone to your web address and include a attachment with the pics?
Only if the phone is set up with an internet and/or email account and service----for an extra charge of course.;)

And therein lies the problem. I have our IT department (our son, Jordan) working on this and should have the pics later today.

The DNR aged the doe at 2-1/2. Had fresh tenderloins sauteed in butter with mushrooms and fresh garlic over pasta with fresh green beans and salad for the sides last night. Does it get any better?

Posted: Wed Nov 11th, 2009 04:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
carpazoid

Mana: 
And therein lies the problem. I have our IT department (our son, Jordan) working on this and should have the pics later today.
I think that he could use the phone to send the picture as part of a phone call to another phone which has InterNet access. Then that phone could eMail the photo.

Easiest is to make sure that the camera phone has a microSD card. Then that card can end up in a card reader and the photo moved to a hard-drive.

Posted: Wed Nov 11th, 2009 06:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Terry
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
We get a photo album with our Verizon service. You can upload them from the phone to the album then download them from a computer. Who'd a thunk?

Posted: Wed Nov 11th, 2009 06:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Moose
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
Nice big doe Terry. Big ears and the white around the eyes. Good Job.
Good Hunting, MOOSE

Posted: Wed Nov 11th, 2009 10:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
chumpchangechar
Forum Member

Mana: 
Nice deer Terry! Have you been hunting with a crossbow long? I started hunting with one this year and I love it. It seems to be killin deer just fine.

Attachment: oct 31.jpg (Downloaded 37 times)

Last edited on Wed Nov 11th, 2009 10:49 am by chumpchangechar

Posted: Wed Nov 11th, 2009 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Terry
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
Yeah, they do seem to do a pretty good job.

I started deer hunting in 2003. The only hunting I did before that was for pheasant in the mid 1970s. Cant' hunt with a regular bow (broken neck/bone fusion in 1980) so I got my doctor and therapist to sign off on a crossbow permit.
Didn't get any deer the first year but have taken three with it since then (I've also taken three deer with firearms).
I've fine tuned my setup through lots of practice. The bow I'm shooting is a TenPoint Titan SL (280fps) with Pro Elite carbon arrows and G5 Montec 100gr fixed blade broadheads.
What bow are you using Chumpchangechar

Posted: Wed Nov 11th, 2009 03:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
carpazoid

Mana: 
Terry wrote:  Who'd a thunk?Buy that IT guy of yours a brew or two. Or, at least a root beer unless he is willing to wait. Bet he had something to do with getting the photo up here.

Posted: Thu Nov 12th, 2009 03:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Terry
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
carpazoid wrote: Terry wrote:  Who'd a thunk?Buy that IT guy of yours a brew or two. Or, at least a root beer unless he is willing to wait. Bet he had something to do with getting the photo up here.

You'd win that bet.

Current time is 10:55 pm  
LSCWA Forums > Other Outdoor > Hunting > Finally! Deer down Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1057 seconds (25% database + 75% PHP). 32 queries executed.