View single post by carpazoid
 Posted: Tue Dec 29th, 2009 03:01 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
carpazoid
Wire Line the Detroit River

Mana: 
Houghton laker wrote: OOps...:verybiggrin:  I got your message...give me a call...I am off all week.Great talking to you on the phone earlier today.

Just so happens that I was putting an article in the newsletter and part of it had to do with the history of the area down by the river. And, it mentions Scripps. Here is one of the paragraphs from the article about the Windmill Pointe Light:

The Lighthouse Inn, located just to the west of the lighthouse, opened with a picnic pavilion in 1909. Between 1913 and 1916, the Detroit Motor Boat Club, a private club for yachtsman such as William Scripps, Lewis Newberry and Horace Dodge, occupied the Inn site. Amid these changes, the lighthouse keeper remained at his post, climbing the tower to polish and maintain the light....
I am pretty sure that the street there was named after William Scripps. His father was the Scripps who founded the Detroit newspaper but William was the one who hung out down there.

BTW, the part-time landlord also called me today. And, that is exactly what he called himself, my "part-time landlord". He must have picked up on the nick-name.