Lowrance HDS Gen 3  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 20th, 2016 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Plan B
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
I'm thinking about a new fish graph and like what I see on the Lowrance units. Looking at the 9" with LSS2 structure scan transducer. Any advice on this unit? Or should I go all in and get 3D? Prices seem OK now, are there better deals at the Ultimate Fishing show?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Dec 20th, 2016 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
auger
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
I'd say the before Christmas deals will be better than the Novi show deals. Mostly outfitters and fly ins from Canada at the Novi show. It's all about the $$$$ at that show now

Posted: Tue Dec 20th, 2016 09:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
St. Clair Slayer
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
I have the 9" touch with structure scan. It is neat. I am still getting used to the structure scan, and in lake St. Clair it is really a bowl so other than weeds there is not much structure to scan. LOL the dock pilings as I come out of the marina are cool to see. I have not fished the reef in Erie or paid attention to the structure scan in the Detroit River. I imagine I will like it in areas with more structure. It does identify fish within the weeds really well too. If you can afford the 3D would be worth getting. I really like the new Garmin units too.

Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ronman
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
I would have to say the most used features are 2D sonar and GPS maps. Next on my list would be screen size. The newer units do all these better and are smaller in size (Can fit a 12 Inch in a spot that use to hold a 8 because the buttons are gone).This would be a reasons for me to buy a new unit. Down scan is nice to read currents as it displays the bends in the weeds better then 2D sonar. As far as all the other stuff (Side Scan 3D) I personally don't see me using much and never seen anybody else actually use them either but I can't say I have been on a lot of boats that have all these feature either. I would hold off on the buy. I was in the upgrade loop awhile back and it was like I would buy the stuff in winter and could not even get the stuff mounted on the boat before it was obsolete here were the reasons; Black and white to color, Digital Sonar and last Side Scan was my path. I know a lot of the pros will disagree but there the same people who get discounts and sell there used stuff at a break even so they have a conflict of interest in getting us to pay up the latest gadget. Its your money and I'm sure all that stuff is expensive but if it makes you happy go for it and I'm sure it works good.

Posted: Tue Dec 27th, 2016 05:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
longshot25
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
I have had my Lowrance HD 5 since they first came out and I don't think you can find a better unit than the latest Lowrance. It should serve you well for years. Go with the largest and most options you can afford.

That's my opinion and I'm sicken to it.

Posted: Sat Dec 31st, 2016 01:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
tubejig
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
I agree that side imaging is ok on the lake. If you get a chance, look at the new bird g2 models. The mapping is sweet and it will record weeds and contours on a card. It can make a live map while you are trolling, and you can get real depth contours, if there are any.

Current time is 12:44 pm  
LSCWA Forums > Fishing > Fishing Questions > Lowrance HDS Gen 3 Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0991 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 27 queries executed.