Walleye Cheeks  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2015 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
carpazoid
Wire Line the Detroit River

Mana: 
Peel about 10 to 15 cloves of garlic. Put on the cutting board and sprinkle with salt and smash with the flat of a knife. The salt keeps the garlic from sticking to everything. Put garlic into frying pan, add some olive oil and start cooking.

Dice up some onion and add to the pan. By now the garlic is starting to brown up and smelling just delicious. Mix onion in and add a bit more garlic and some butter. Add 5 to 8 anchovy fillets including the oil that is on them. The anchovy fillets will melt into the garlic, onion, olive oil and butter mix. Add a couple pinches of red pepper flakes.

With some experience you will figure out how many anchovies to add. Remember that they have to be added now. Add them later and they will not dissolve or melt into the sauce.

Take the Walleye cheeks and cut larger cheeks into two, three or four pieces. Cook the cheeks,stirring frequently. If the mixture starts to dry out add a 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water.

In the recipe I made yesterday I had 1 lb of cheeks and was out of fettuccine noodles so had to use bow-ties. The mix was enough sauce for 8 or more servings of pasta. Flat pasta works better than round varieties. There is no need to season the dish with salt after serving. I have found that the salt from crushing the garlic, the anchovies and the butter and then seasoning the pasta water is enough. If the hot peppers added earlier are not enough then add some black pepper.

Remaining sauce can be served with diced tomatoes or with a cream sauce. For more ideas for putting this together look at a scampi sauce and a Puttanesca sauce recipe. Wine, capers and olives are all possibilities for adding.

The guy who posted the Puttanesca recipe below has some other great fish & game recipes. His name and the link to his cookbook are in the first couple of lines.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pasta_puttanesca/

Posted: Fri Nov 24th, 2017 02:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DorianCoolidge
Forum Member

Mana: 
I'll be trying this recipe one of these days. :)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 09:57 pm  
LSCWA Forums > General > Recipes > Walleye Cheeks Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0821 seconds (25% database + 75% PHP). 27 queries executed.