LSCWA Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
LSCWA Forums > Other Outdoor > Fish Pictures > ANOTHER World Record Trout?

Moderated by: bobbarnes
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
ANOTHER World Record Trout?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 11:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
Found this story on-line...I assumed they were talking about OUR recent world record brown pulled out of the Manistee...but this is a rainbow from Canada.

WITH CONTROVERSY! Apparently some genetically engineered rainbows from a nearby hatchery escaped into this lake years ago. Its known to produce large fish (like that Lake Dixon for largemouths in California). They were mutated so that they have a trisomal chromosome count (3 instead of a normal pair of 2).

Should this catch count? or is it BS like steroids in the olympics? I'm leaning towards the BS side...but what the heck...if you catch it you catch it right? Hmmmmmmm. not sure....

What do you guys think?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/09/biotechfishing?npu=1&mbid=yhp

Posted: Thu Sep 17th, 2009 10:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
carpazoid
Wire Line the Detroit River

Mana: 
He caught it so yes he should feel proud. Not sure that I would call it BS but at this time I would not be willing to say "world record".

Kind of like getting a B&C class buck except that it escaped from a breeding farm the week before.

Posted: Thu Sep 17th, 2009 05:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Terry
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
Fish Fear Me wrote: They were mutated so that they have a trisomal chromosome count (3 instead of a normal pair of 2).

Remember when our DNR was experimenting with Triploid Salmon? Sounds about the same here.

Posted: Wed Sep 30th, 2009 09:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Moose
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
carpazoid wrote: He caught it so yes he should feel proud. Not sure that I would call it BS but at this time I would not be willing to say "world record".

Kind of like getting a B&C class buck except that it escaped from a breeding farm the week before.

If it escaped from a game farm, it is still a fair chase deer. Unless it had a tag in his ear, nobody would ever know. I bet it would count.
Good Hunting,  MOOSE

Posted: Fri Oct 2nd, 2009 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
After thinking about this one for a while...I agree with the predominant sentement. Heck...If you shoot/catch something legally, it isn't your fault if you caught it. You go to a lake, throw out a lure, catch a world record...God Bless you. However...;)

I understand there was a proposal back when whereby certain record catches which demonstrated  unnaturally mutated chromosomal structure would be classified as a separate entry; an "asterisk" so to speak. Heck...mutants occur naturally in nature all the time: (4 leaf clovers, frogs with 3 legs, albino deer, PETA activists, etc...) ;) But this was a human engineered mutation - the product of a pipette and a scientist in a laboratory with a petri dish...outside the realm of natural selection. What bio-chemists would call a directional mutation.

The difference with the "deer escaping from a deer farm" analogy is this: The deer was bred (like race horses are) to achieve superior antler growth. Their very chromosomal make-up (ploidy count, DNA structure) wasn't purpously mutated in a specific way (like seedless watermellons or these 3n fish) are. They just did their homework and carefully bred these animals and nurtured them....like these guys who make 1,500 pound pumpkins. (Check out this months National Geographic :eek:).

Thats the only part that seemed a bit hokey to me at first, but heck...if you caught it, you caught it. I say the record stands.

Now if it was caught on someone's trout pond....BS!!!:roflmao:

(2-headed turtle image taken from Google) We actually had 5 "pairs" (individuals?) of these in the bioengineering lab at Wayne State. (Including a skinless rat with another rat's ear growing out of its back to see if we can regenerate human tissue for burn victims off of animal hosts. It was UGLY!) Strange mutation, but very common in the reptile and amphibian kingdom (considering how many there are). One died because both ate at the same time and they only shared one extractory system. Most the salamanders and frogs were fine because they basically were like Siamese twins...just joined at the hip.  Not to digress....

Attachment: images.jpg (Downloaded 49 times)

Last edited on Fri Oct 2nd, 2009 11:16 pm by Fish Fear Me

Current time is 02:53 am  
LSCWA Forums > Other Outdoor > Fish Pictures > ANOTHER World Record Trout? Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1026 seconds (32% database + 68% PHP). 28 queries executed.