LSCWA Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
LSCWA Forums > Other Outdoor > Fish Pictures > Aloha Mainlanders!

Moderated by: bobbarnes
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Aloha Mainlanders!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
Every time I go "home" to The Big Island of Hawai'i, it gets harder to leave. :(

Rented my own boat this year, most of the captains were busy with a Maui Jack Invitational marlin tournament.

Lost 2 hook ups (and about $200 worth of lures) but my sister and I got this nice eatin' size Ono (wahoo to you mainlanders). About 12 miles out by this weather buoy sitting out there in 5000' deep of water. You troll at 10 mph.

We didn't have to buy dinner for the last 4 days of the trip!:eat: In fact we had to give the last 3# bag of fillets to the lady at the front desk of the condo we rented.

It was kinda like catching a big musky! :roflmao: Except MUCH better tasting. ("Ono" means "best" in Japaneese/Hawai'ian language.)

Attachment: ono.jpg (Downloaded 100 times)

Last edited on Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 07:03 pm by Fish Fear Me

Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
Cleaning the Ono...

Attachment: ono 2.jpg (Downloaded 99 times)

Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
Driving the boat...That's Mt. Hualalai in the backround, just off the Kona coast on The Big Island...

Where else can you rent a 24' boat with a 115 hp Yamaha motor...stocked with all the fishing gear...for $450 a day!?! I can barely rent a pontoon boat on Higgins Lake for the day at that price. Can't wait to go back...can't wait...

Attachment: S5030366.JPG (Downloaded 98 times)

Last edited on Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 06:53 pm by Fish Fear Me

Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 09:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
carpazoid
Wire Line the Detroit River

Mana: 
How much does one like that weigh??

Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2009 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
Not much actually...they're really thin and "torpedo" shaped. This one was about 20# at the MOST...not much more than that. About 4' long. I believe they're a member of the mackeral family? White firm, flaky meat...ALMOST as good as walleye. Hands down my favorite salt water fish.

I know they call these "wahoo" down in Florida (well, I guess that is the actual name) but everything has different names in Hawai'i. Heck they only have 12 letters in the alphabet!;) Wahoo is "ono", dolphin fish is "mahi mahi", yellowfin tuna is "ahi", snappers are "a'ku", marlin are "ka'u", and sharks are "mo'o'i".

Interesting tidbit...all the sharks we catch are released immediately. According to ancient Hawai'ian belief, your dead ancestors are re-encarnated as sharks. So when a non-native captain pulls up to the hoist with a giant hammerhead or mako, they just might find their boat vandalized the next morning in the harbor. Here's a picture of a mahi mahi...we didn't catch it, the boat pulling in next to us did.

Attachment: mahi mahi july 2009.jpg (Downloaded 88 times)

Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2009 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
I don't mean to bore you with my vacation pics (after all I realize this is a Lake St. Clair walleye web site), but I really like the way this one turned out and I wanted to share it.

This is flying over Los Angeles, 6 miles up, leaving the California coast and beginning the 6 hour trek across the Pacific to The Islands.

Took a direct from Chicago to Honolulu (13 hrs :banging head on)

Actually it was only 7, due to the 6 hour time diference. Its weird waking up at 7 am to see baseball and football games, or skipping work on a Monday afternoon to get to the sports bar for the 2:30 pm Monday Night Football kickoff!;lol:

Attachment: LA 2009.jpg (Downloaded 85 times)

Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2009 09:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
carpazoid

Mana: 
All nice pictures and a good explanation to go with each.

Didn't think the fish would weigh much with a body like that. Looks thinner than a Muskie of the same length.

Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2009 05:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
Thanks Alex, thats nice to hear.

Another pic with a short story behind it.

Alot of folks might be surprised to hear that there is really only 1 main fishing harbor on the Big Island. You would think they would be everywhere, right? On the east side of the island there is a huge harbor in Hilo, but its mainly for recieving cargo ships and stuff. That side of the island SUCKS! Its about as scenic as downtown Flint on a rainy day. Always raining, rough seas, terrible fishing, power lines and fast food restaurants, etc... If Hilo is your first impression Hawai'i, you'd turn right back!:roflmao:

But on the West side of the island, in Kailua-Kona, the weather is always 80 degrees and sunny with no wind. 2 of the largest mountains in the world (Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea) block all the wind. The water is turquoise blue, smooth as glass, and teaming with fish. Folks from the other islands like Maui, Lanai, Oahu, and Kauai'i all come to Honokohau Harbor in Kona to fish. Ever see those HIBT "Maui Jack Presents..."(Hawai'ian International Billfish Tournament) shows on Sunday morning? That's Kona. All those boats: Pamela II, Marlin Grando, Northern lights, Sea Geenie, Ihu Nui, Reel Trouble etc... They're all out of Honokohau Harbor. All in all I would surmise there are about 100 charter boats there? $200 Grand a year!:realshock:for a slip.

All the charter boats come in at 4 pm every single day. I am always hanging out on the main dock where all the hoists are at from 3-5pm every afternoon to check out the fish. Even when I lived there, I don't think I really ever missed an afternoon at the dock.

Here are a few large yellowfin tunas (ahi) from last week. As you can see in the pic...the one is 144#. Talk about a fight? Picture catching a 150 pound bass!!! 2-3 hours average to pump these in. Must've been last Monday, I can see 7-13-09 on the tag there...you lose track of time when you're over there;)

Sorry if the Hawai'ian dock girl got in the way of this fishing pic;)

Attachment: ahi 2009.jpg (Downloaded 85 times)

Last edited on Sat Jul 25th, 2009 06:18 pm by Fish Fear Me

Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2009 09:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
carpazoid

Mana: 
She makes the picture, it looks like she will fall over if she keeps stepping backwards.

Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2009 01:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Mike Sr
LSCWA Member

Mana: 

This shot was taken outside of Hilo, on the way to the rainforest. The town of Hilo isn't much although if you get up real early in the morning the seafood auction is something to see.

Alex might like this one

Last edited on Sat Aug 1st, 2009 01:27 am by Mike Sr

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2009 05:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
carpazoid

Mana: 
That one is good. Colorful and points of interest including the bridge.

Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2009 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Fish Fear Me
Forum Member

Mana: 
That is one of the most scenic places on the island.

I'm guessing that 1st pic is in the Puna district in the Pahoa area by lava trees park?  Or is that north of Hilo on route to the Botanical Gardens?

That bridge there looks like the one at KoleKole roadside park (near Akaka Falls?) Best park to BBQ on the whole island... I love seeing the remnants of the origional railroad spanning all those deep valleys. Trivia fact: they filmed Jurassic Park on that part of the island.

Isn't The Big Island the true definition of "Paradise"?:D

I always drive through that area before I go camping out at Kilauea. It took me a whole day to hike to the top of the vent. This is where I decided to spend the night...didn't want to get TOO much closer!:D

Thanks for the pics...Mahalo

Attachment: Pu'U'O'O 2009.jpg (Downloaded 63 times)

Last edited on Sat Aug 1st, 2009 04:58 pm by Fish Fear Me

Posted: Tue Aug 4th, 2009 01:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Moose
LSCWA Member

Mana: 
Very nice posts Fish Fear Me. I feel like I've visited the Big Island.  Maybe One Day!

Good Fishing,  MOOSE

Current time is 11:39 pm  
LSCWA Forums > Other Outdoor > Fish Pictures > Aloha Mainlanders! Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1376 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 27 queries executed.