My Biggest For 2008  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Oct 12th, 2008 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
royal whaler
Forum Member

Mana: 
Didn't do that well on the Walleye this year but managed this Sturgeon for my biggest fish for 2008.  5 feet 4 inches long and 60 pounds taken in the North Channel on Oct. 4 th.  :)

Attachment: 102_2156.jpg (Downloaded 211 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Oct 14th, 2008 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
chumpchangechar
Forum Member

Mana: 
THAT IS A  HUGE FISH  CONGRATS  ...CAN YOU TELL US THE STORY  IT MUST HAVE BEEN PRETTY  WILD  GETTIN THAT BEAST IN....

Posted: Sat Oct 18th, 2008 05:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
royal whaler
Forum Member

Mana: 
chumpchangechar wrote: CAN YOU TELL US THE STORY  IT MUST HAVE BEEN PRETTY  WILD  GETTIN THAT BEAST IN....

This was a last minute, spur of the moment decision to sturgeon fish so I was out there alone. It took place at the upper end of the North Channel where I have had luck in the past. Everything seemed hungry this night. The bait stealers were at work and I couldn’t catch them on my # 4/0 hooks. Went through about 4 dozen night crawlers as I would put on 3 at a time on two poles. As the night went on I did pull up one white perch, 1 sheepshead, and 2 channel cats (8 ½ and 4 pounds, caught at the same time). Then at about 10:45 P.M. I had a nibble no harder than a perch bite which was the sturgeon mouthing my night crawlers. I set the hook and knew right away this was a sizable fish. No controlling him for the first 15 minutes or so. He swam up stream when he wanted and down stream when he wanted. There was one jump all the way out of the water about 30 feet from the boat. Eventually he tired and was at the side of the boat. I had a musky net along but have a hard time using it when a fish is this big. My Boston Whaler has side rails that are two feet up from the water and that makes it too far for me to reach (fish head in the net and my hand around the tail). Like I have done in the past, I held the pole in one hand while untying one of the mooring lines from the boat. One end of the rope is made into a slip knot which is sent up the fishing pole and down the line to the sturgeon. Once the slip knot is put over the fish’s head and over the pectoral fins, he can be pulled up and over the rail quite easily. From the time he was hooked to the time I had him in the boat was about 1/2 hour.  I quickly took some measurements and a picture. To weigh him, I stepped on a bathroom scale with and without the fish – the difference is the weight of the sturgeon. I released him back in the water to be caught another day. Per DNR information, a fish this size has an average age of about 35 years. Thanks for your interest in my fish.  :)

Last edited on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 06:04 am by royal whaler

Posted: Tue Oct 21st, 2008 03:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
chumpchangechar
Forum Member

Mana: 
THAT IS A GREAT STORY  ...I LIKE THAT ROPE IDEA   VERY COOL....HOW DO YOU PICK YOUR SPOTS??? WHAT IS THE BEST DEPTH  FOR YOU???AND DO YOU  ALWAYS USE CRALWERS??     THANKS   VERY INTERESTING

Posted: Sun Apr 26th, 2009 01:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
chumpchangechar
Forum Member

Mana: 
I heard at lakeside somone caught a 100 lb sturgeon down at the steel mills this week? Anyone got any info on this ?

Last edited on Sun Apr 26th, 2009 01:45 am by chumpchangechar

Posted: Sat Oct 30th, 2010 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
sensei
Forum Member

Mana: 
Great fish!

Current time is 10:33 pm  
LSCWA Forums > Other Outdoor > Fish Pictures > My Biggest For 2008 Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1073 seconds (25% database + 75% PHP). 27 queries executed.